Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Winter Survival Wardrobe

Find each piece at my Sartorial Cravings board on Pinterest.

Fashion seasons and weather seasons have been in dispute forever, at least in my life they seem to be. While living in Mexico, neither Autumn or Winter wanted to make a solid appearance it seemed, and they didn´t feel like owning the place for their full term they are meant to last. One day I would leave the house wrapped up in a cozy jumper and a pair of boots and by the afternoon I would be carrying the jumper and seriously thinking of ditching the boots too. Due to these circumstances, I really never had a winter survival wardrobe simply because I didn´t need one but it all changed when I moved up to the north of Ireland.

A year ago, I wasn´t very wise enough to know how much my wardrobe needed to change for the cold upcoming months. When the time to do some shopping arrived, I purchased lovely looking jumpers, a pair of wintery looking boots and a cute blazer coat. Not  too bad as it sounds but, when November and its "mild" weather showed up, I was shivering and almost could´t move… so when I was outside, on those long days filming with my classmates, standing for hours (we had tea breaks too and they where glorious) holding a microphone or checking up on the camera were difficult tasks for my frozen hands.. you can almost imagine how I looked… and the worst, this was only the mild cold but it was hell for me or maybe not hell, we could better describe it as Narnia under the White Witch´s reign. How could I possibly survived those months? Buying more clothes you might answer and yes I did buy a few more chunky practical pieces but in the real world a girl can´t buy the entire section of jumpers on Topshop, or can she?…

So here I am again, November and I am prepared, warmed up & not scared of what will come in the next few months. I do have to say, the human body amuses me. Our bodies learn and never forget (if it could only be the same emotionally). I can surely say, physically I feel more adapt to the cold, I mean, it´s November right now and I can leave the apartment with a thin jumper, a pair of flats and a coat without freezing! But, even though my body has strengthened against the low temperatures, I have prepared myself with the right things to wear when the streets turn into ice. And a pair of UGG´s is definitely not on my list this year (meaning no offence at all).

From what I´ve learned, a good Winter survival wardrobe consists on what ever makes you feel comfortable and suits your own style obviously, but most importantly we need to learn how to layer up including style and comfort and the best thing is, we have so many options to wear every year and that is fantastic but always be wise on what you wear according to were you are. While I was writing this post, I asked some of my friends from different parts of the world to tell me how do their wardrobe varies as the coldest season of the year arrives.

Cezi, Ags, Mexico. (Winter low, -1 C)
My wardrobe doesn´t have a radical change when winter comes.  I forget about sleeveless shirts, summery flats, shorts & skirts for a while as jackets, blazers, boots and jeans are welcome into my everyday routine.Something that never misses place in my wardrobe wether is Spring, Summer or Winter are my Converse. On these cold days, my ideal outfit consists of jeans, a dark blouse with 3/4 sleeves, a very cozy blazer, scarf, a cute hat and of course, my Converse. I do try to leave the heels for special occasions only… I just couldn´t survive winter without my Converse!

Galia, Florida, US. (Winter low, 4 C)
How much does your wardrobe changes from summer to winter?
Not much since I live in Florida.

What is a must on your winter wardrobe?
A jacket and closed shoes!

What does your perfect outfit consists of on a cold day?
Boots, jeans. Long sleeved shirt, my green scarf, and my leather jacket.. Oh and a headband.. The thick ones that are super cute.

Joanna, Derry, Ireland. (Winter low, -7 C)
My winter wardrobe gets a lot heavier. Comfort and warmth take priority over fashion to be honest. Knitwear is a must for me , I love wool jumpers. My perfect outfit would be a cream knit jumper, leather coat with fur collar and skinny jeans with winter converse or boots.

Marieta...
After learning by experience, I can say my wardrobe changes a lot too. Although my adored jeans stay through the seasons, I do include jumpers and cardigans on my outfits and this year I am trying to add a little bit of colour (don´t forget I am devoted to sober hues). Boots are a must every year and now that the biker boots are back I could´t resist to get myself a pair… oh and they are incredibly good to walk through heavy rain and hopefully they join me on a walk through the snow… if it snows this year.

Do any of these girls share similar ideas when it comes to staying warm during Winter? and also, which is your ideal outfit for the season?



PS: Thank you to Galia, Joanna and Cezi for sharing their Winter Wardobes with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment